Our gallery is an important part of our mission here at Saltstone Ceramics. We call it Completing The Craft Circle; we want to demonstrate the connection between the skills our students are learning and the vocations of practicing artists.
Our gallery primarily sells handmade functional ceramics from independent ceramicists. We also sell a small selection of other housewares (cutting boards, wooden spoons) and jewelry.
All the artwork is displayed in our Wallingford, Seattle gallery and online.
Most pieces are sold on commission, with the artist keeping 60% and the gallery keeping 40%.
If you're new to the gallery, we'll typically start small, with a selection of about a dozen pieces. But this is flexible, and we're happy to work with you to match your production pace.
What We Do
- Product photography.
- Listing your work online.
- Including your work in our marketing and advertising, including outreach to our Instagram audience (17,000+) and newsletter subscribers (5,000+).
- We rarely offer discounts, but if we do that comes out of our 40%–you'll still receive your full share of the price you set.
- Credit card processing.
- Shipping and returns.
- Customer communication.
- We pay our artists monthly via check or direct deposit.
- We send out detailed sales reports with each payment.
What You Do
- Make beautiful art.
- Get your work to us in Seattle.
- Set the prices for your work.
- Determine how that work should be described.
- Send us a bio and photograph to display alongside your work (if you like).
- Your work remains your own, and you can ask for it back at any time.
We are committed to selling work from a wide range of artists.
If you identify with a group that has been traditionally marginalized in our pottery community, we'd especially love to talk to you about showing your work in our gallery.
Curation is handled by a three person team to help ensure a wide range of styles and perspectives are presented in our gallery.
About Our Gallery
Our gallery is located in the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle, on a busy commercial street. The gallery occupies about 15% of our 1300-square-foot studio.
- In 2021, we sold more than 2,000 individual pieces from more than 75 artists.
- About 1/3 of the artists in our gallery identify as BIPOC.
- The gallery is open to the public from 11am to 5pm, every day but Tuesday.
- Our gallery customers are split fairly evenly between in-person and online sales.
Want to sell in our gallery? Get in touch!
- Include a link to your Instagram handle or website, or include some photos of your work in your email.
- Describe the types of work you would like to sell with us and approximate price points. (For example: "mugs are $75. Serving bowls, $125".
- Feel free to mention production techniques, special materials, your artistic background, or anything else that makes your work special.
Know somebody? Tell them to get in touch!
If you know someone who you think would be a good fit for our gallery, tell them to get in touch! We're always looking for new artists to share with our customers. You can also send us an email, or DM us on Instagram @saltstoneceramics with artist recommendations. Our curation team will take care of following up.
We look forward to working with you!