Today we are announcing that, to comply with King County health mandates, we are postponing all regularly scheduled classes, workshops, open studio sessions, and Clay Curious classes until further notice. In addition, we are temporarily (mostly) closing our retail store. (For more information about the retail closure, click here.)
All students will receive an email with more information today. We are not throwing away any unfinished work while our classes are postponed, so don't worry–you can pick up where you left off when things are back to normal.
We don't take these decisions lightly, but in light of ongoing developments and the recent executive orders from the King County Executive and the Washington State Governor, we feel that this is the best decision to protect the well-being of our staff, customers, and community at large.
This is going to have a big impact on the economic health of our business. We (Sarah and Steve) are firm in our commitment to keeping Saltstone Ceramics afloat during this crisis. We'll get through this.
We are doing everything we can to protect the financial health of our employees. They rely on us to provide the bulk of their income, and most of that comes from teaching. Health issues aside, they are among those most at-risk during this crisis. We are continuing to explore creative ideas to keep them on the payroll while our primary sources of income are shut down.
How can you help?
- Continue to support our retail side through online sales. We sell beautiful handmade functional art, and your purchases helps ensure that working artists can continue to have a viable role in our society. Today we're announcing a new $10 flat-rate shipping policy for all purchases, big and small, so you can easily get your hands on a new piece of pottery, wherever you are. We have announcements about the retail side of our business over here.
- Consider private lessons: we will be offering limited opportunities for very small groups to take private lessons with our instructors in a safe, hygienic environment.
- Buy a gift card! Gift cards never expire and can be used for anything we sell: handmade ceramics and other housewares, classes, workshops, t-shirts, and more!
- Follow our new Instagram account, @SaltstoneClasses, and take part in our Saltstone@Home project!
- We're about halfway through Mug Madness 2020! Follow us on Instagram to cheer and vote for your favorites. Explore all the work by Mug Madness artists.
This is a stressful, uncertain time for us personally and as business owners. We appreciate all the love and support this community has shown us, and each other, over the past few years. Be well.
Sarah, Steve and the rest of the Saltstone Ceramics family.